Monday, November 12, 2007

Cactus that I kind of like


This cactus closeup is probably one of the first images I really like out of my 4x5. It's still a little clichéd but I enjoy the overall effect. I developed this one in a tray with four other images.

I don't think I like the tray processing much. The negs seemed a little thin and there was definitely some minor scratching on the emulsion. Granted I could have increased development time to compensate for not using the drum, but I'm also too careless and anxious in the dark.

The drum seems to give me more consistent results, but I can only process two images at a time.

4 comments:

Hart said...

Stepping up to big film after 35mm is a whole different kettle of fish, isn't it? I remember wincing when I saw the crud on my first negs because I was sloppy loading the film in the first place. And then the marks from hand developing. The benefit? Man, you really have to slow down and think about whether or not tripping the shutter is really worth it. Every timew. (Very nice light in this one, by the way.) And also: I did a redesign on my site. Still trying to figure out the best way to display images (the text blog is the homepage still).

photon turks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
photon turks said...

Hi Carlos,

Why dont you use the 4x5 developing tank such as Doran or Frank Roosevelt, you can process 12 images at a time,and it turns out pretty good too. You can find them on ebay.

Your blog was introduced to me by Greg Spaulding.

Carlos Moreno said...

Yeah, one of the great things about the move to Gilbert is that I will be fairly near a Pheonix camera store called Photomark.

They have a great selection of stuff.

I hope to get some new processing gear there and if I can't find those tanks there, I will go online.

Thanks photon turk!