Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Just happy to waste film

Sometimes I try to use this 4x5 like I would a 35mm in that I rush to load, set up and shoot fast and with little of the forethought and planning that most large-format shooters so diligently adhere.

One of the things that keeps pegging me as the 4x5 rookie is that twice now I've burnt an open packet of unexposed sheet film. Twice I was in a hurry to load some sheets and get out the door to catch a shot when I forgot to return the foil packets to their box. Of course, I clicked on the lights to see the tell-tale purple edge and notched corner poking out of the pouches before quickly slamming off the lights.

I've been able to salvage a lot of that film. Most of the inside sheets only get an edge fog near the top. But some have a pretty severe 1/4-inch to half-inch burn.

Anybody got suggestions other than just altering my hard wiring?

3 comments:

Hart said...

Patience, young Skywalker. Patience.

Tina said...

I have to say this rookie finds it a bit amusing reading the description of her instructor's "rookie" mistakes. Burning the sheets. I thought you were perfect? LOL.

Carlos Moreno said...

Definitely no perfection here...especially when it comes to this 4x5 work. I have a nude that I can probably post up here because I double exposed it by mistake and, hence, it's a fairly tame photo because the double exposure hides all or most of the naughty parts.