Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Kaylee at South Mountain


Here's a shot of Kaylee my model friend from Flagstaff. We're up halfway or so into South Mountain in Phoenix. This is my first attempt at using the Polaroid 55 in the field with the sodium sulfite solution. I've got a few kinks to work out.

First, I've got to remember to carry the plastic storage box with the sodium sulfite to the shooting site instead of leaving it in the car.

Second, I need some better storage for the SS. The cheap, plastic storage containers I bought at Walmart are...well...crap. They leak if the fluid sloshes. So now guess whose car smells distinctly of sodium sulfite?

I like this overall image of Kaylee. I'm ticked because I've got branches merging with her head. This is one of my pet peeves with my students and here I am shoving her right into the middle of some creosote bush.

The neg scanned very contrasty. The print, which I gave to Kaylee, was gorgeous. This negative is tough to scan and quite dirty. I think the dirt and some other aberrations are the result of me carrying that neg and print down to the car in my Cambo case; then immersing it into the SS.

I shot some TMAX 100 of her on this rock as well. I will process those and get back here with the results ASAP.

3 comments:

jhitesma said...

Can't wait to hear more about how the SS experiments go. Have you tried scanning any negs you processed under more "ideal" conditions? I seem to remember hearing that the negs could tend to be somewhat contrasty.

Always wanted to experiment with that, glad to see the camera is getting to even if I'm not. At least I can follow along still.

Unknown said...

OK, your former student is laughing about the branches coming out of her head. On the other hand, you could do some weird exposure/tricks in Photoshop and it would look like lightening coming out of her head. Sort of 'fantasy'.

Hart said...

How long are you letting the film develop before you peel? (Shoot me an email bro.)