Saturday, January 5, 2008

Amber at Scorpion Gulch


OK. SO I'm back in the "swing" of things (large-format shooters will get the pun).

This is Amber, an aspiring model, at Scorpion Gulch at South Mountain. I'm not sure what Scorpion Gulch is/was. It appears to be ruins of an old home. But it's a great locale for shooting. It's not great if you want privacy because it's just a few yards from the road leading to South Mountain park. So we had every low-rider and hip hop-playing, Korean-car-driving punk slowly drive or even stop--waiting for Amber to take off her clothes. Uh, not going to happen.

Anyway, I really love the overall feel of this image. Unfortunately I screwed up the post processing of the Polaroid 55 film somewhere. I immediately immersed the negative in sodium sulfite and it seemed totally clear. Even after I got home and rinsed and Photo Flowed it, it seemed clear. But when I came back after it dried, I found these two diagonal streaks. They almost look like the emulsion had merged with another emulsion, but not quite as dense.

Also, the neg is very dirty. There are a lot of tiny dust spots that I tried to Photoshop with the dust and scratches filter. This is why the overall sharpness is not great either. But all in all, I like this picture. Even the streaks are kind of ghostly and lend an ethereal quality to the shot.

Some Internet posts I found suggest the Scorpion Gulch is haunted. Maybe I've got some ghost trails here.

No comments: