Sunday, October 7, 2007

First TMax image




This is my first official photo from a TMax negative. There was only a fair amount of adventure getting to this point.

I shot this with little problem, but wasn't entirely happy with the overall composition and content, but still I was eager to burn a sheet of film and get a little experience with the camera and the film holders. So I shot this and an agave leaf in front of Bill Butler's house on Saturday afternoon. Both exposures were f/11 at 1/4 sec.

The drama occured Sunday morning as I got up around 6 so I could make coffee and process my two sheets.


On Saturday, Bill had graciously brought me some D-76 and an Omega drum roller base from San Diego for me to use with my Unicolor 8x10 drum.

So I loaded the drum Sunday morning enjoying my coffee while listening to NPR. It was a great morning with cool fall weather lingering in Yuma which I enjoyed while moving between the kitchen to patio to darkroom.

So I prepared to leisurely sip coffee and listen to the puzzlemeister Will Shorts while spinning the drum and its chemicals. Unfortunately as I filled the drum with a water pre-bath, all the fluid immediately leaked out. It seems the gasket on the Unicolor drum is toast. I made a dash to the laptop and bumped Julie off so I could find the development time for tray processing.

I then frantically grabbed trays, poured in some D-76 (room teperature) and did my best to get the two 4x5 sheets from the drum to the D-76 without mangling them.

The tray developing process was fairly uneventful, but I forgot to pull my negative early because I knew the developer was warmer than 68 degrees and I also could not see the timer in the dark. I rely on its beep to notify me of time run out.

But I successfully tray-processed the two negatives with little (if no) scratches. And here is the first scan from that event.

It's a little contrastier than I like. I think that's due to the longish development in the warm D76. But overall I'm pleased with the process and am deeming this a successful first try.

4 comments:

jhitesma said...

Gotta love those last minute solutions! If you want you can borrow my jobo while you're still in Yuma. I don't have the lift for it, but I do have a 4x5 and an 8x10 tank and the design of the tanks I can't see them developing any leaks.

Anonymous said...

Um, you wanna fess up about the developer in the freezer now??

Clarebear said...

"contrastier" I like the term, I really like this picture as well!

shooter greg said...

Artists tend to invent new words that help lend a mystique...though anyone willing to go through the 4x5 dance to make art is pretty "mystiqueie" to begin with...
and inspirational to boot. Time to get back in the saddle and make my own popsicles with the f64 club..