Sunday, October 7, 2007

Second TMax image




This is a slightly more massaged image than the bicycle photo. This is the second frame I shot on Saturday at Bill's house during my first round of shooting with TMax 100 sheet film.

This one is slightly cropped and rotated with a fair amount of burning and dodging. It was windy and I kept waiting for the sunlight to fall on the tip of the agave, unfortunately I didn't see the sun also hitting the top, right corner of the image. Plus, I didn't frame it properly and the shutter in the background was slightly off horizon.

Again this is f/11 at 1/4 second. So I see some slight motion blur, but overall I'm please with my first round of images. These are nothing to hang in a gallery, but I feel good about not making a total flameout from my first go-round with sheet film.

I may be in Phoenix on Monday and might go get some more Polaroid film and try to experiment with that in the coming weeks.

3 comments:

Hart said...

Oh, to have a darkroom in the home! Nice page. Why T-Max and not Tri-X? Why do you prefer the former?

Carlos Moreno said...

Not sure why I'm using T-Max instead of Tri-X. I just kind of got onto a roll (pun intended) with T-Max when I was last shooting 35mm b/w film and just decided to stick with it.

I don't know if T-Max still blocks up in the highlights like it used to, but I figure I'm going to try for a zone system exposure method down the road anyway when I'm more comfortable with the whole process.

shooter greg said...

Having access to 3 darkrooms, (one in the home and 2 at University) seems an embarrassment of riches...sorry hart. I agree with hart on the Tri-X...especially with this format which can take a lot of stress. T-Max has never been able to render the classic Tri-X look. Since you still like D-76, the pairing will render a more interesting tonality and classic grain structure...as long as you can still get Tri-X sheets. If you use T-Max developer with Tri-X (I know you have in the past!), try the 1:9 ratio...the one gallon mix used straight is too hot.