Wednesday, October 10, 2007

What's old is new again

I dug a little deeper into my old darkroom stash and pulled out a Chromega 8x10 developing drum. My parents bought this thing for me when I was a freshman in high school (let's call it the late '70s).

I'm typing just as my next two 4x5 negatives are running through the fixer cycle. In fact I'm going to run and change the fixer now. Pardon me a minute....

So this Chromega drum has some discreet slots molded inside the tube. You can very delicately slide two 4x5 negs into this thing and they seem very tenuously held into place. This is the first time I've used this drum for negatives.

I got it back in the '70s when I first started making Cibachrome prints.

In another minute, I'll go wash these negs and see if they fell out of their slots or if I got a good development from the drum.

For my own recording this again is TMax 100 developed in D-76 at 70 degrees. The timer was set to 6 minutes and I pulled the tube off the motor at 5:50. Rinsed and fixed and washed normally....

The negs are drying now. A cursory visual inspection seems to indicate they developed well--although one of the negs had moved out of the slot somewhere in the processing stage. It didn't seem to hurt the neg that I can tell just yet.

I'll scan soon and post the results.

No comments: